Thursday, January 7, 2010

WINTER BREAK: WEEK TWO

Monday: Kidspace Museum

Cost: $20 for the Museum; $8 for a burrito.
Description: “Where learning and play are one.” Kidspace is another hands-on learning center (built by a friend of mine) located literally next to the Rose Bowl and with it being the holiday season they actually made snow for the kids to play in and with the annual Rose Parade only days away the tourists and vendors were already amassing.
Highlights: Will Ferrell was there; one of the Rose Parade vendors was the best Mexican restaurant in L.A. and they were already serving up hot burritos. I had two; I was lucky enough to get the very last parking space, which is usually a cruel karmic trick and this was no exception…
Lowlights: No strollers allowed, which meant I got to hold Alex the entire time we were there and unlike our experience at the California Science Center this place was packed so tight I couldn’t even put Alex down or she would get trampled. The second lowlight revolved around the snow. When Arden’s hands got cold she asked me to buy her some gloves. I said they didn’t sell gloves at the museum and she said, “I saw some other kids with gloves with the same “K” symbol as the stamp on our hands.” Damn she was good, but I still wasn’t budging for five minutes of winter wonderland fun. And that’s when she had a literal meltdown in the snow. Like our experience at Travel Town, I was holding the baby so I couldn’t drag Arden out of there, which meant the entire museum got to witness Arden self-destruct. I think I even caught Will Ferrell wincing as he walked by.

Tuesday: Barnes & Noble, Skirball Cultural Center and lunch with Jen in between.

Cost: $15 (not including lunch)
Description: Bookstores are an old favorite of mine. They’re like a toy store and a library all in one and you don’t have to clean up after yourself when you’re done, plus Barnes & Noble serves Starbucks. The Skirball Cultural Center is a Jewish History Museum with a brand new Noah’s Ark exhibit where kids of all ages and religions can learn from and enjoy.
Highlights: While standing in line I heard the Noah’s Ark exhibit was sold out, but I stayed in line and managed to convince the woman behind the counter to let us in by claiming we drove all the way up from San Diego. Something felt extra wrong (or maybe it was just the irony) about lying to get into a Biblical event, which is probably why I was forced to do my usual outing penance.
Lowlight: Part of our admission included an “open art class” where the kids get to make "Ark" animals out of recycled products. Once again no strollers were allowed, but there were a million volunteers working in the craft room so I asked an old bitty if “anyone can help my daughter make a cardboard mouse.” The woman replied, “Yes, you.” I'm not sure if I actually said the word, "bitch" out loud or not. Anyway, as usual we were on our own and with no place to put Alex I had to single-handedly make a mouse out of buttons, fabric, yarn and a toilet paper tube. I literally put my blood, sweat and tears into that little rodent. The blood came when I accidentally snipped my fingers with the scissors.


Wednesday: Tree House Social Club Under the Sea

Cost: $18
Description: It was pouring rain that day so I decided to take the kids to the Tree House Social Club, the penultimate indoor play gym located in the heart of Beverly Hills. At its center is a massive indoor tree house surrounded by a toddler area, an arts and crafts room, a Wii station, a terrific café and a mini-spa where moms can get their nails done and the dads can get a quick massage, all while watching your kids play. I was actually stoked to have a Chicken Panini and a soy latte while the kids did…whatever. When I spied a prime parking space right out front I should’ve known it wasn’t meant to be after our Kidspace experience. Standing in a torrential downpour with the girls we stared at a “Closed for the Holidays” sign, something they had neglected to post on their website or their answering machine. I seethed until I remembered a friend had recommended another indoor play gym nearby called Under the Sea, which turned out to be the antithesis of the Tree House Social Club.
Highlights: Leaving.
Lowlights: Mass hysteria. Cat and dogs living together. It was “Lord of the Flies.” With the rain and the dirt from outside mixing with a million snot-nosed kids on vacation the place was an absolute mad house so it wasn’t a surprise that Arden was fine with leaving after only an hour. Though it probably didn’t hurt that I bribed her with ice cream which she promptly got after I picked up a chicken panini at Jack in the Box.

Thursday: L.A. Zoo

Cost: $6 (for a bag of kettle corn and some fries – I’m a member so we got in free.)
Description: It’s a place where you find a lot of wild animals.
Highlights: On my last day of winter break I finally found a wingman, someone to help me pass the time. My friend Jeff and his two-year-old daughter Finley joined us at the zoo. It was probably the most laid back and relaxing time I had over the two week break. Alex was happy to be kept in constant motion as I strolled her past all the cages. Arden was excited to have someone who isn't her sister to play with for a change. And I got have an actual adult conversation (a.k.a. use cuss words). Zoo day was a good day. But it was also a bittersweet day because...
Lowlights: It was my last day with just me and the girls.


Friday: New Year’s Day
Description: A perfect day just chilling at home with the family.
Cost: Priceless.


Saturday: Ralphs Grocery Store

Description: Jen was trying to flee from a crazy person at the supermarket and quickly tossed Arden into the shopping cart, throwing out her back in the process. Which meant I got to take care of both girls and Jen for the rest of the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment