Friday, January 22, 2010

QUOTABLE ARDEN



In Arden’s never-ending quest to become an actual Disney Princess we introduced her to the wonders of movie soundtracks. Now you’re probably thinking, “big mistake, now you’re gonna be forced to listen to Peabo Bryson sing, “A Whole New World” until you know every word and find yourself singing it in the shower.” Actually there was a master plan at work. We also hooked Arden up with Jen’s old iPod mini and speakers so that she could dance around her room to "Bippity Boppity Boo" and leave us alone for a few precious minutes here and there. My brilliant plan actually worked…for a few days.

Eventually Arden realized that she could plug her iPod into the car stereo so we could listen to the Cinderella III: A Twist in Time soundtrack “as a family.” But this isn’t where the pain ended. A few days later we were driving in the car and I was on a business call (using my Bluetooth headset, of course) and Arden pipes up from the back seat, “Put on Beauty and the Beast.” I shushed, “In a minute.” Not two seconds later Arden leans forward and says in her most deadpan voice, “I’m not hearing my music, Daddy. Can you hear my music, Daddy?” Four-years-old and already a smart-ass.

While we’re on a “technology” theme Arden had another classic moment during dinner the other night. Somewhere between her first bite and her usual mid-meal trip to the bathroom, Arden said, “You know what? I wish I had a TV in my room.” Jen said, “I bet you do.” Then Arden said, “Then if I wake up in the middle of the night I could just watch TV and not disturb you.” (Yup, she said, “disturb.”) I turned to Jen and said, “Not a bad sales pitch.” And then turned back to Arden and said, “But you ain’t getting one.”

No comments:

Post a Comment