Friday, October 23, 2009

TO BE OR NOT TO BE, THAT IS THE THEORY


So there’s this renowned OB/GYN who’s touting his theory that men shouldn’t be allowed in the delivery room when their wives are giving birth. Apparently we slow things down and just make the whole process more difficult. If you’ve read my blog for a while you’ve heard about my most recent experience in the delivery room, which turned into a visit to the E.R. And when Jen was giving birth to Arden, I nearly passed out watching them stick the epidural into her spine. And yes, I recoiled in horror both times when the doctor insisted I take a gander at my child’s head popping out of my wife’s cooter. But even though I’m sure I was a pain-in-the-ass, I think men should be there. If only to truly know what your wife means when she says things like, “You try giving birth” or “You don’t know what pain is,” when you stub your toe on the coffee table and look to them for sympathy. But seriously, for me, being in the delivery room was a religious experience. There’s nothing quite like watching (for me, from my wife’s side) your baby emerging into the world and being placed in your wife’s arm. Seeing my wife’s expression when she first held both of our children made me weep. And I think having my wife know that, made all my inadequacies in the delivery room, worthwhile.

Anyway, I was turned onto this ridiculous theory by my friend and fellow blogger, Jenny, who writes a great, harried mom blog called Perfectly Disheveled (link is down today for maintenance, but do try it tomorrow!) She actually loaned her talents to talk about this theory to help launch a new website called TruuConfessions (link will take you to her blog entry there.) Check it out if you get the chance.

Photo: Me with Arden, a couple minutes after she emerged.

1 comment:

  1. "If only for 'You try giving Birth'"... Brilliant. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete