Tuesday, August 25, 2009

FOODIE IN TRAINING


A couple of years ago comedian Howie Mandel was on the Tonight Show talking about his battle with OCD and how he didn’t realize the magnitude of his problem until he was out at a restaurant with his family and his six year old son came back from the bathroom and said proudly, “I did it!” Howie said, “You did what?” “I went to the bathroom without touching anything.” This morning I had a similar epiphany with Arden.

I always joke about how Jen and I have a restaurant addiction, however today I realized that we may actually have a problem. Today was Arden’s first day of preschool “Summer Break.” She’s off for the next two weeks while the teachers “prepare” for the new school year. Which means I’m back to trying to come up with “fun” and “interesting” things to do with the girls that won’t drive me insane in the process. Today we went to the Target Portrait Studio to get some professional pictures taken of the girls. Despite the fact that Arden woke up with a wicked cold and Alex is hoarse and has the worst case of diaper rash I’ve ever seen and I was hit by the mother of all allergy attacks, we actually had a good time and managed to get some great shots too. We celebrated by hitting up Fresh & Easy on the way home for some free samples…and to pick up a few groceries. Well when we returned home around noon I told Arden it was time for lunch and I asked her what she wanted. She said she wanted a Lunchable. So I ripped off the plastic cover, slid that pre-made goodness across the dining room table and said, “Lunch is served.” Arden looked at me like I was crazy and said, “We don’t eat lunch at home.”


Photo by Rachel Brisk

No comments:

Post a Comment